I recommend using all the AVG Security Software unless you are running MAC, or of course if you are already a genius and are running Linux/Unix/BSD :)
This is also a newer release from Grisoft and is fantastic. It detects everything from hidden NTFS file streams to cookies. Also includes Real-Time protection. Learn more and get the free download at AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition.
AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition is a popular free antispyware solution available at no cost to home users and provides a high level of detection capability.
Rootkits are definately scandalously cool but extremely dangerous because they run underneath your Operating System so that even Anti-Virus programs can't detect it, yet it can see EVERYTHING that you are doing. AVG has a new anti-rootkit program out that is available for free. Learn more and get the free download at AVG Anti-Rootkit Free Edition.
AVG Anti-Rootkit Free is a powerful tool with state-of-the-art technology for the detection and removal of rootkits.
Rootkits are used to hide the presence of a malicious object like trojans or keyloggers on your computer. If a threat uses rootkit technology to hide itself it is very hard to find the malware on your PC. AVG Anti-Rootkit gives you the power to find and delete the rootkit and to uncover the threat the rootkit is hiding.
I have used this product for many years on many computers and I love it. It doesn't slow down your computer and most importantly it has kept me safe from virii for many years. And that is saying a heck of a lot considering all the shady places I go on the net. It has wonderful email-scanning, shell-extension scanning, etc.. very easy and intuitive. Get the free download at AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. They also have a Linux version!
AVG Free is the most popular free solution available at no cost to home users and provides the high level of detection capability that millions of users around the world trust to protect their computers.Free Rescue Scanners(For Use When Malware Has Disabled A Computer)
Get one of these and learn to use itbefore you need it!
- Avira's bootable CD scanner program (daily manual signature updates) isat http://www.brothersoft.com/avira-antivir-rescue-system-197951.html
- Dr. Web's capable bootable CD scanner program (do a manual signatureupdate before scanning) is at http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd
- F-Secure's bootable CD scanner program (updates when run) is athttp://www.brothersoft.com/f-secure-rescue-cd-198321.html
- Kaspersky's bootable CD scanner program (occasional manual updates) isat http://www.brothersoft.com/kaspersky-rescue-disk-197959.html
- Sunbelt's Vipre rescue program (download and put on computer or USBdrive--a bootable CD is in the works) is athttp://live.sunbeltsoftware.com/
Castle Cops is out of business.
- Bleeping Computer has downloads, forums, assistance, and information athttp://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
- Malwarehelp Org has information, security news, links, and a blog athttp://www.malwarehelp.org/
Where To SubmitInfected/Suspected Files
ClamWin users should send undetectedviruses and false positives to Clam.
- Clam Antivirus accepts files it doesn't detect and false positives athttp://cgi.clamav.net/sendvirus.cgi
- Jotti online file scanning service at http://virusscan.jotti.org/ - Allparticipating AVs will get a copy
- VirusTotal online file scanning service at http://www.virustotal.com/ -All participating AVs will get a copy
Dependable On LineAntivirus Scanners
These on line scanners do notreplace resident updated antivirus/antispyware scanners.
- ESET (NOD32) malware scan is at http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/index.php
- Microsoft's Live One Care has several types of scans athttp://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm
- Panda ActiveScan is athttp://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeusers/solutions/activescan/default.htm
- SuperAntiSpyware's research center provides free scans of runningcomputer processes at http://www.fileresearchcenter.com/
- Trend Micro's Housecall scan for malware is athttp://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Experienced OnlineMalware Removal Assistance
Be patient - they don't do this full time.
- Alliance Of Security Analysis Professonals is a good starting place athttp://asap.maddoktor2.com/
- A-Squared (Emsisoft) (with initial self help) athttp://forum.emsisoft.com/Default.aspx?g=topics&f=38
- Malwareteks (same personnel as Emsisoft with initial self help) athttp://www.malwareteks.com/forum.html
- Spyware Warrior has free help and a list of rogue antispyware productsto avoid at http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
Downloadable MalwareRemoval Tools
These tools do not replace residentupdated antivirus/antispyware scanners.
- Alwil Software has a free cleaner tool, Avast Free Virus Cleaner, athttp://www.avast.com/eng/programs.html
- AVG has free removal tools (including VCleaner) athttp://free.grisoft.com/doc/virus-removal/us/frt/0
- CureIt from Dr. Web is a capable free scanner that can be updatedmanually at http://www.freedrweb.com/
- F-Secure's free Easy Cleaner is athttp://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/onlineservices/fsec/fsec.shtml
- F-Secure also has specific removal tools athttp://www.f-secure.com/security_center/malware_removal_tools.html
- Malwarebytes has a freeware version of their capable Anti-Malwareprogram at http://www.malwarebytes.org/index.php
- Malwareteks has do-it yourself removal guides athttp://www.malwareteks.com/forum-t408.html
- Microsoft's Malicous Removal Tool (updated monthly on Patch Tuesday) isat http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
- Norman has a capable Malware Cleaner (use in Safe Mode) athttp://www.norman.com/Virus/Virus_removal_tools/24789/en-us
- Smitfraud/Antivermins removal tools are athttp://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic69886.html
- Softpedia has some tools athttp://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Malware-Removal-Tool.shtml
- SuperAntiSpyware has a capable free on-demand antispyware program forhome users at http://www.superantispyware.com/
- Symantec has individual malware removal tools athttp://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/removaltools.jsp
- Trend Micro's HijackThis can be used to locate malware athttp://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis
- Various dedicated anti-malware tools are available athttp://www.smokey-services.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2026
- Various spyware/adware removal tools are available athttp://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml
Get experienced assistance if thisdoesn't work.
- About Dot Com's removal/prevention guide is athttp://antivirus.about.com/od/windowsbasics/a/virusremoval.htm
- AVG's free anti-malware site has a removal guide athttp://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?4,27725,backpage=
- Bleeping Computer has a removal/disinfection guide athttp://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial101.html
- Bleeping Computer also has removal instructions for specific roguespyware programs at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/
- Major Geeks has a list of rogue security programs athttp://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=79754
- Spyware Techie has spyware removal information/links athttp://www.spyware-techie.com/
- Large antivirus vendors offer free manual disinfection information,including:
- F-Secure has malware search/descriptions athttp://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/
- Kaspersky has general information athttp://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/encyclopedia?chapter=153280800
- McAfee has threat resources at http://vil.nai.com/vil/default.aspx
- Symantec has current threat information athttp://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/threatexplorer/threats.jsp
- Trend Micro's virus encyclopedia is athttp://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/
September 22nd, 2007