AskApache Google 404 is a must-have WordPress plugin that uses some ajax and a couple tricks to display a very helpful and SEO Error Page. The default displays Google Search Results for images, news, blogs, videos, web, custom search engine, and your own site.
Heads Up: This plugin will boost your SEO over time. And many additional features are in the works!
- About the WordPress 404 Plugin
- Demo 404 Error Page
- Google 404 Screenshots
- 404.php Installation
- Frequently Asked 404 Questions
- More 404 Info from Google
Install Time: 10 seconds to 5 minutes
Install Difficulty: Super Easy
This is one of my required plugins. It turns site errors and lost visitors into happy visitors and site traffic/seo. The goal is just like Google, to get the visitor who reached the error page where they really had meant/wanted to go in as little time as possible. It can help your SEO in many subtle ways.
Loading Video... [dl]
- Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress.
- Go to your Options Panel and open the "AA Google 404" submenu.
- Enter in your Google Search API Key and hit the "Update Key" Button. (Get One)
- Add the code to your 404.php template page by including
<?php if(function_exists('aa_google_404'))aa_google_404();?>in your main content area.
Do I need a Google Account?
Do I need a 404.php template file?
Only if you want to use this for your error page.
My 404.php page isn't being served for 404 Not Found errors!?
ErrorDocument 404 /index.php?error=404 to your .htaccess file.