Webmasters often use SSH to remotely admin web sites and servers, learn how to make your shell colorful and powerful using my sample .bash_profile and you can be up and running in 30 seconds!
All you have to do is create or edit your
~ root file
.bash_profile to get the customization you want. The
PS1 variable being exported below is the prompt. I included a few alias commands as well, which explains why the outputs from the 2 screen captures above are different for the
Simply copy and paste the below or you can download text file: Custom Pretty DreamHost .bash_profile.
# ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash(1) for login shells. umask 002 export PS1="ne[1;37m[e[0;32mue[0;35m@e[0;32mhe[1;37m]e[1;37m[e[0;31mwe[1;37m]n$ " export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/dh/java alias dsiz='du -sk * | sort -n --' alias bash='clear;/bin/bash -l' alias ls='ls -lahF --color=auto'
- Bash Man Page (html), (txt)
- HackTux Linux Help - Custom Bash Shell Prompts
- tldp.org - Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide - (pdf version)
- tldp.org - Bash Prompt HOWTO
- Life After Coffee - Customize your Bash Prompt
- TuxForums.org - Custom Bash Prompt How-To
- Google search results - "custom bash shell prompt"