I recommend using all the AVG Security Software unless you are running MAC, or of course if you are already a genius and are running Linux/Unix/BSD :)
This is also a newer release from Grisoft and is fantastic. It detects everything from hidden NTFS file streams to cookies. Also includes Real-Time protection. Learn more and get the free download at AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition.
AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition is a popular free antispyware solution available at no cost to home users and provides a high level of detection capability.
Rootkits are definately scandalously cool but extremely dangerous because they run underneath your Operating System so that even Anti-Virus programs can't detect it, yet it can see EVERYTHING that you are doing. AVG has a new anti-rootkit program out that is available for free. Learn more and get the free download at AVG Anti-Rootkit Free Edition.
AVG Anti-Rootkit Free is a powerful tool with state-of-the-art technology for the detection and removal of rootkits.
Rootkits are used to hide the presence of a malicious object like trojans or keyloggers on your computer. If a threat uses rootkit technology to hide itself it is very hard to find the malware on your PC. AVG Anti-Rootkit gives you the power to find and delete the rootkit and to uncover the threat the rootkit is hiding.
I have used this product for many years on many computers and I love it. It doesn't slow down your computer and most importantly it has kept me safe from virii for many years. And that is saying a heck of a lot considering all the shady places I go on the net. It has wonderful email-scanning, shell-extension scanning, etc.. very easy and intuitive. Get the free download at AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. They also have a Linux version!
AVG Free is the most popular free solution available at no cost to home users and provides the high level of detection capability that millions of users around the world trust to protect their computers.Free Rescue Scanners (For Use When Malware Has Disabled A Computer)
Get one of these and learn to use it before you need it!
- Avira's bootable CD scanner program (daily manual signature updates) is at http://www.brothersoft.com/avira-antivir-rescue-system-197951.html
- Dr. Web's capable bootable CD scanner program (do a manual signature update before scanning) is at http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd
- F-Secure's bootable CD scanner program (updates when run) is at http://www.brothersoft.com/f-secure-rescue-cd-198321.html
- Kaspersky's bootable CD scanner program (occasional manual updates) is at http://www.brothersoft.com/kaspersky-rescue-disk-197959.html
- Sunbelt's Vipre rescue program (download and put on computer or USB drive--a bootable CD is in the works) is at http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com/
Castle Cops is out of business.
- Bleeping Computer has downloads, forums, assistance, and information at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
- Malwarehelp Org has information, security news, links, and a blog at http://www.malwarehelp.org/
Where To Submit Infected/Suspected Files
ClamWin users should send undetected viruses and false positives to Clam.
- Clam Antivirus accepts files it doesn't detect and false positives at http://cgi.clamav.net/sendvirus.cgi
- Jotti online file scanning service at http://virusscan.jotti.org/ - All participating AVs will get a copy
- VirusTotal online file scanning service at http://www.virustotal.com/ - All participating AVs will get a copy
Dependable On Line Antivirus Scanners
These on line scanners do not replace resident updated antivirus/antispyware scanners.
- ESET (NOD32) malware scan is at http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/index.php
- Microsoft's Live One Care has several types of scans at http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm
- Panda ActiveScan is at http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeusers/solutions/activescan/default.htm
- SuperAntiSpyware's research center provides free scans of running computer processes at http://www.fileresearchcenter.com/
- Trend Micro's Housecall scan for malware is at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Experienced Online Malware Removal Assistance
Be patient - they don't do this full time.
- Alliance Of Security Analysis Professonals is a good starting place at http://asap.maddoktor2.com/
- A-Squared (Emsisoft) (with initial self help) at http://forum.emsisoft.com/Default.aspx?g=topics&f=38
- Malwareteks (same personnel as Emsisoft with initial self help) at http://www.malwareteks.com/forum.html
- Spyware Warrior has free help and a list of rogue antispyware products to avoid at http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
Downloadable Malware Removal Tools
These tools do not replace resident updated antivirus/antispyware scanners.
- Alwil Software has a free cleaner tool, Avast Free Virus Cleaner, at http://www.avast.com/eng/programs.html
- AVG has free removal tools (including VCleaner) at http://free.grisoft.com/doc/virus-removal/us/frt/0
- CureIt from Dr. Web is a capable free scanner that can be updated manually at http://www.freedrweb.com/
- F-Secure's free Easy Cleaner is at http://support.f-secure.com/enu/web/onlineservices/fsec/fsec.shtml
- F-Secure also has specific removal tools at http://www.f-secure.com/security_center/malware_removal_tools.html
- Malwarebytes has a freeware version of their capable Anti-Malware program at http://www.malwarebytes.org/index.php
- Malwareteks has do-it yourself removal guides at http://www.malwareteks.com/forum-t408.html
- Microsoft's Malicous Removal Tool (updated monthly on Patch Tuesday) is at http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
- Norman has a capable Malware Cleaner (use in Safe Mode) at http://www.norman.com/Virus/Virus_removal_tools/24789/en-us
- Smitfraud/Antivermins removal tools are at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic69886.html
- Softpedia has some tools at http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Malware-Removal-Tool.shtml
- SuperAntiSpyware has a capable free on-demand antispyware program for home users at http://www.superantispyware.com/
- Symantec has individual malware removal tools at http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/removaltools.jsp
- Trend Micro's HijackThis can be used to locate malware at http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis
- Various dedicated anti-malware tools are available at http://www.smokey-services.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2026
- Various spyware/adware removal tools are available at http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml
Manual Disinfection Information
Get experienced assistance if this doesn't work.
- About Dot Com's removal/prevention guide is at http://antivirus.about.com/od/windowsbasics/a/virusremoval.htm
- AVG's free anti-malware site has a removal guide at http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?4,27725,backpage=
- Bleeping Computer has a removal/disinfection guide at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial101.html
- Bleeping Computer also has removal instructions for specific rogue spyware programs at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/
- Major Geeks has a list of rogue security programs at http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=79754
- Spyware Techie has spyware removal information/links at http://www.spyware-techie.com/
- Large antivirus vendors offer free manual disinfection information, including:
- F-Secure has malware search/descriptions at http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/
- Kaspersky has general information at http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/encyclopedia?chapter=153280800
- McAfee has threat resources at http://vil.nai.com/vil/default.aspx
- Symantec has current threat information at http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/threatexplorer/threats.jsp
- Trend Micro's virus encyclopedia is at http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/